It’s that time of the year when my skin starts to look a bit sallow and feel a bit dry and irritated. I blame cold weather and central heating as well as the lack of sunshine.
I’ve been meaning to do a post on skincare for a while. It’s something I actually put a lot of thought into as part of my ‘beauty’ routine – I use that term lightly! My skin can be sensitive and is prone to breakouts of dryness or spots depending on the time in my menses and on the season we are in.
I thought I’d share some of the products I love to use most days to keep my skin looking and feeling healthy. I don’t use all of these every day, instead I prefer to mix it up and flip between these to keep my skin from getting lazy. Most of these products are natural or part natural, something I’ve gravitated towards more and more in recent months in a bid to rid our home of chemicals and toxins. They’re also high street brands not luxury or high end because I honestly don’t think you have to spend a fortune on skincare to get good quality.
- Super Facialist by Una Brennan: This cleansing oil feels lovely to massage into my face and neck and encourages me to give my face a massage to get the blood flow moving and help cell renewal. It is packed with essential oils and smells of juicy oranges which really wakes up my senses in the morning. To save time I tend to massage this in before I get in the shower and then rinse it off in there.
- Dr Bronner’s Pure Castile Soap: I stopped using shower gels about 6 months ago after realising they’re packed full of chemicals. I now prefer to use soap which after about a week switching my skin got used to. I actually normally buy this product as a bar of soap which I like better than the liquid form for baths and showers. It’s non drying and smells like marzipan, which, if you like marzipan like me, is pretty amazing!
- Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish: An old favourite that I use throughout the colder months of the year. I sometimes put this on like a mask and leave it on my face while I soak in the tub before rinsing it off with a muslin cloth. It’s nourishing yet light.
- Ren, Rosa Centifolia Foaming Cleanser: I’m a bit of a cleanser lover and this is a lovely light cleanser to use in the shower if I’m short on time. It smells like roses and leaves my face feeling really fresh.
- L’Occitane Relaxing Massage Body Oil: I suffer from dry skin on my arms and legs and this stuff is really soothing to put on in the evening or after a bath. Despite being an oil it doesn’t leave a greasy residue. My skin drinks it in and I love the smell of essential oils that helps to relax me and promote a restful night’s sleep.
- Yes to Cucumbers Daily Cleansing Gel: Such a great value little face wash that feels really fresh. It smells of cucumber which is a scent I really like and it’s 96% natural so I know nothing bad is going on my skin.
- Avene Moisture Mask: If my face is feeling dry or sore, I put this mask on and leave it for 10 minutes while bathing. It’s gentle on my sensitive skin and always seems to give me a glow after I’ve used it. I probably use this once a fortnight but should make time to use it a bit more often.
- Thieves Aromabright Toothpaste: I had no idea just what a load of nasties are in most toothpastes. Look on the back of your toothpaste tube and you’ll be in for a bit of a surprise. I switched to this natural Young Living toothpaste recently and love how clean my mouth feels after brushing. The use of clove works to fight bacteria and keep breath fresh. I also switched the kid’s toothpaste to a natural no fluoride alternative by brand, Kingfisher which they love.
- Essential Oils: I use a number of different essential oils on my face and body. Frankincense is on of my favourites for the face – it gives me a glow and is so nourishing for skin and cell renewal. I also love geranium – I’ll add a drop or two of geranium and frank to my base moisturiser. I often use peace and calming mixed in with epsom salts in the bath and added to my Aveeno body moisturiser after the bath. It smells absolutely incredible and helps soothe my skin.
This post is not sponsored. All of the products I’ve shared above are just ones I use and love.