We love oils in our house. We use them every day in some form or other. I’ve had lots of questions from you guys about how we use essential oils day to day so I thought I’d try to cover them all here in one big oily post. Some of you want to try oils for a specific reason – maybe to rid your home of toxic cleaners, to help you relax or to boost your immune system. They can do all of these things and so much more. I never realised the versatility of oils until I started researching them and using them daily. I will be sharing a follow up to this post too to cover the basics on the science behind essential oils and how they work but for now here are a few of our most used oils and ways in which we incorporate them:
Probably the most widely used oil there is. It’s such a clever little oil and can benefit you in so many ways. We use it as follows:
- a drop on a cut stops the bleeding and pain right away
- 4 or 5 drops in the
- kids bath every night helps calm them ready for bed
- a couple of drops mixed with a carrier oil (I use organic and pure sweet almond or jojoba oil) rubbed onto their bodies to calm and soothe
- a few drops in our diffuser to relax and unwind and to promote a good night’s sleep
- added with water to a spray bottle for a good night’s sleep pillow spray
- added with lemon, purification and water to make up a fresh linen spray
A potent oil with a really amazing smell, peppermint is a really great oil on it’s own or used in conjuction with other oils. We use it as follows:
- rub a little with almond oil on your tummy if your digestive system is sluggish
- a drop on each temple rids a headache
- a drop in the mouth under the tongue to freshen up
- a drop of peppermint, lemon and lavender together with a tiny drop of almond oil, rubed onto the chest to stop seasonal sneezing (really good for hayfever).
- diffused with eucalyptus globulus and lemon to create a really zingy, fresh and reviving scent – good for the mornings or when you feel a bit fuzzy
- a drop of this with a drop of lemon, rubbed into your palms and inhaled deeply (holding your hands over your nose and mouth while breathing in) is restorative and great for awakening the senses, (or curing a hangover)!
Of all my oils, lemon is the one I use the most – literally every single day. It has so many uses and it smells like the cleanest, freshest, happiest smell in the world – as if you’d stepped into a Sicilian lemon grove. We use it as follows:
- to freshen stinky sinks – a couple of drops left for a few minutes and then flushed with hot water, or mixed with bicarb of soda to create a paste which you can use to scrub your kitchen and bathroom sinks and tubs
- a drop in your water to give you a boost of antioxidants
- a drop of lemon rubbed onto stains or sticky residue lifts them like magic and leaves no trace, (I recently cleaned all Elsie’s crayon deposits on the wall this way!)
- mixed with other oils lemon makes the best kitchen surface spray
- add a drop to your face wash if you’re a bit oily
- a couple of drops of lemon and thieves oil rubbed over your feet and chest or down your spine wards off bugs and germs and boosts your natural immune system. If we’re getting ill this works wonders to shorten the duration of any sickness – I find it halves the length of that bug. Thieves and lemon alone or combined are such potent oils and have incredible anti viral, anti bacterial and anti fungal properties
- diffused with any other oil (I love to mix with peppermint, lavender, purification or orange) to make our whole house smell like the cleaner has been
This oil is amazing for skin. Try it as follows:
- add a drop to your usual face oil for a radiant glow
- blend with other oils and ingredients to make an super effective eczema balm
- add it with orange oil to your face creams to achieve a glow
Thieves Oil Blend
Thieves, oh thieves, what would we do without you? I absolutely LOVE this oil, it smells a bit like xmas and it’s
properites are great for boosting immunity and warding off bugs. It’s
great for cleaning too – like an anti bac. We use as follows:
- clean your fridge with a couple of drops on a cloth
- rub it on your feet and chest at night to help boost immunity and ward off illness. (With children mix with a carrier oil to dilute and rub on their feet and down their spine)
- diffused, thieves literally kills germs in the air and purifies
- blended with other oils thieves makes a kick ass cleaning spray
Purification Oil Blend
This is one of my favourites and again, I use it most days as follows:
- a couple of drops added to the laundry or tumble dryer makes everything smell so clean and pure
- added to my homemade kitchen sprays to disinfect and freshen
- rubbed onto any insect bite to stop the itch immediately
- a drop or two on any surface or any area of your house, this stuff literally kills stinks – great for sinks, toilets, bins, even stinky shoes!
- diffused – all the time, whenever you want your home to smell cleaner than it actually is 😉 It literally purifies the air molecules!!
I really love the smell of oranges so this oil is one I use a lot around the house because it’s so versatile. Orange is the happy oil and as an extra benefit it’s anti-inflammatory, an antioxidant and an antiseptic! Phew… We use as follows:
- mixed with other oils to make up a cleaning spray
- a drop in water to add a zing and to give you an antioxidant boost
- added to cake icing or batter to make a lovely orangey cake
- added to soapy water to clean surfaces, floors, cabinets, you name it
- diffused on it’s own or with lemon, lavender, eucalyptus or valor – it just smells incredible!
- added to a carrier oil with thieves and lemon and rubbed into the chest and feet to ward off bugs or help you recover from sickness
- a couple of drops in the nappy bin to rid any stinks
- a few drops in the bath with some natural epsom salts or other relaxing oils to revive and unwind
- added to lavender with a carrier oil and rubbed down the spine and on the feet to soothe kids when they’re wound up
- added to your face oil or with a carrier oil to brighten your complexion
Eucalyptus is such a healing oil and smells so good. I use it as follows:
- diffused it smells incredible – I mix with other oil combos (see above)
- mixed with lemon and purification and added to a roller ball bottle with carrier oil this makes a really good substitute for something like vix vapour rub or olbas oil if you or your kids are sick or congested. You can also rub it on the feet with a carrier oil for the same thing
- I use a blend of eucalyptus, pine, orange and thieves along with water and Dr Bronners pure and mild for my wood cleaning spray
Pan Away Blend:
Ok I’m not going to lie, this oil stinks to high heaven but it’s great for aches and pains. It’s very like deep heat but a non toxic, non chemical variation. Pan Away contains the oil helichrysum which is one of
the most powerful and expensive oils available. It’s responsible for
cell regeneration and amazing at healing. Use as follows:
- rub it onto any area of inflammation or pain to soothe tired, achey muscles and joints
Peace & Calming Blend:
One of my favourite oil blends if I’m feeling agitated, worked up, anxious or mentally drained. I use it as follows:
- a few drops in the bath to soak away the worries of the day
- mixed with a carrier oil and rubbed direct onto my skin this oil is incredibly relaxing aromatically and as it’s breathed in I can literally feel the weight lifting. I rub it on my chest, temples and feet
- diffused in the evening to promote relaxation and a good night’s sleep
There are many other oils we use and love but these are probably the ones I use the most frequently – many daily. I recently bought a bottle of Christmas Spirit because, you know, ‘tis the season, (almost), and I’ve been diffusing it in the house – it’s like someone figured out how to bottle up cosy, LOVE!
For all our essential oils we choose Young Living. The reason for that choice is highly considered as they are not the cheapest oil you can find on the market, but they are the best!
Why Young Living?
- they are therapeutic grade (very few oils on the market are)
- 100% pure
- can be traced directly back to their source (where the plant or flower is grown that made that specific bottle of oil)
- use zero chemicals in the distillation and bottling process (YES that’s right, no chemicals at all – which means they are totally toxin free)
- they are exceptional quality
- a little goes a long way!
- I was able to save 24% on all my oils by signing up as a distributor without any obligation to distribute – win win win!
Having done lots of research and talked to lots of people, I can honestly say I wouldn’t use any old oil brand, especially not on my kids and certainly not if I’m applying it to the skin. Oils are incredibly potent, they are medicinal, (as I will come onto in my post around the science), and every drop of oil you put on your skin is absorbed into your body, into your bloodstream and broken down into teeny molecules. There’s a reason humans have used them medicinally for centuries and why they are in so many products you can buy on the market today. Whatever brand you choose, read up, do your research and understand the background to that product.
How to order your Premium Starter Kit from Young Living
If you have any questions about using oils or if you decide to try Young Living oils and want to join my team drop me an email and I’ll walk you through the sign up or you can go to http://bit.ly/1NZrtab
To complete the form:
- Fill in your country details
- Select the wholesale member check box to sign up as a distributor so you qualify for the 24% discount (there is no obligation to distribute)
- Paste my user ID into the sponsor number and enroller number box: 3130217
- Complete your personal details in the form
- Choose the English Premium Starter Kit box with UK plus for £139.80 (it’s on the last row in the kits selection)
- Scroll down in the Essential rewards section and click the “No, thank you. If I wish to create my own Essential Rewards order at a later point in time” check box
- Complete your payment details
- Hey presto you’re signed up and your kit will arrive within 2 days
- Drop me an email so I can send you some useful resources and add you to our friendly and helpful Facebook resource group where you can learn lots about how to use your oils
The Premium Starter Kit currently includes: The Young Living Dewdrop Diffuser, Lavender oil, Peppermint oil, Lemon oil, Frankincense oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia oil (tee tree), Thieves® oil blend, Purification oil blend, R.C.™ oil blend, AromaEase™ oil blend, PanAway™ oil blend, Stress Away™ oil blend.
The kit currently includes: a dewdrop diffuser, Lavender, Peppermint, Lemon, Frankincense,
Melaleuca Alternifolia (tee tree), Thieves®, Purification, R.C.™,
AromaEase™, PanAway™, Stress Away™
Just a word on diffusers – this is the only way to harness the beneficial properties in essential oil – burning oils in an oil burner kills the beneficial particles.